Bombyx huttoni Westwood, 1847
- Early stages
- Status, Habitat and Habits
- Larval Host Plants
- Similiar species
Bombyx incomposita (van Ecke, 1929)
- http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-3/bombycidae/bombycidae_1_1.php [accessed 23 September 2017]
- OD: Theophila incomposita van Eecke, 1929, Zool. Meded. Leiden, 12: 65
- http://www.jpmoth.org/~dmoth/Digital_Moths_of_Asia/80_BOMBYCOIDEA/05_BOMBYCIDAE/01_Bombyx/Bombyx%20incomposita/Bombyx%20incomposita.htm [accessed 23 September 2017]
- http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php/Taxbrowser_Taxonpage?taxid=326339 [accessed 23 September 2017]
Diagnosis. The grey falcate forewings with a black apical zone and fine, evenly curved fasciae are distinctive.
Taxonomic notes. Further dissection of Bombyx species has indicated that Sundanian material should be treated as distinct from Himalayan huttoni. The species is externally similar to huttoni, though specimens of the latter from the N.W. Himalaya have a double forewing postmedial, but the genitalia are relatively larger and more elongate. MOB states distribution is Sumatra, Peninsular Malaysia, Borneo.
However, reported from Nepal. MON Pl 20/7 & 8. MOB states huttoni is NW Himalayas.
Probably best separated by male genitalia, though MOB mentions huttoni has a double post-fiscal line on FW.
- Haruta, T. (Ed.). 1992-2000. Moths of Nepal. TINEA. Vol. 13 (Supplement 2). The Japan Heterocerists’ Society, Tokyo pl.57.16
- Ratnasingham, S. & Hebert, P. D. N. 2007. BOLD: The Barcode of Life Data System (website). http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php/Taxbrowser_Taxonpage?taxid=112157 [accessed 19 Jan 2017]
Hampson, G. 1892. The Fauna of British India including Ceylon and Burma. Moths, Vol. 1. Taylor & Francis, London. Pp. xxiii + 527. Saturniidae to Hypsidae 527 p - 333 fig. Pg 37, # 42 as Theophila huttoni.
OD: Bombyx huttoni Westwood, 1847; Cabinet Orient. Ent.: 26, pl. 12, f. 4 http://archive.org/stream/cabinetoforienta00west#page/26/mode/1up [accessed 23 September 2017] and Plate at http://archive.org/stream/cabinetoforienta00west#page/n83/mode/1up
Smetacek, P. 2011. Notes on the Bombycidae (Insecta: Lepidoptera) of the Kumaon Himalaya, Uttarakhand, India. Bionotes 13(2): 72 -- 74.
Cite this page along with its URL as:
Anonymous. 2021. Bombyx huttoni Westwood, 1847. In Sondhi, S., Y. Sondhi, P. Roy and K. Kunte (Chief Editors). Moths of India, v. 2.61. Indian Foundation for Butterflies. http://www.mothsofindia.org/sp/355931/Bombyx-huttoni