Ischyja ferrifracta (Walker, 1864)
- Early stages
- Status, Habitat and Habits
- Larval Host Plants
- Similiar species
Indian and global distribution: records (based on images):
Larval Host Plants:
Identification: Sexual, seasonal & individual variation:
Status, Habitat and Habits:
Adult moth observations that have been databased:
Ischyja Hübner,  species known from the Indian subcontinent.
Ischyja marapok Holloway, 2005. Indian subregion, Andaman Is.; Borneo (TL).
Ischyja hemiphaea (Hampson, 1926) (Potamophora). India, Andaman Is.; Singapore (TL).
Ischyja manlia Cramer,  (Phalaena (Noctua)). TL: “Coromandel”, Tamil Nadu. Indian subregion; Myanmar.
Ischyja ferrifracta (Walker, ) (Potamophora). TL: Borneo.
Ischyja inferna Swinhoe, 1902. India; Sri Lanka; Borneo (TL).
Ischyja hagenii (Snellen, 1885). India: Mizoram; Indonesia (TL: Sumatra).
Ischyja Hübner,  males identification summary, drawn up by SS. Many individuals are best separated by genitalia.
Ischyja inferna: Oblique shape of reniform and shape of loop mark near dorsum.
Ischyja ferrifracta: Pale wedge at forewing apex in both sexes.
Ischyja hagenii: geometrically marked greyish forewings. Can be confused with extralimital species Ischyja anna.
Ischyja manlia: pale marginal outer half of forewing; pale stigmata with dark edging (marapok has stigmata with pale egding) ; no purplish tint other than longitudinal streak, which is bordered inwards by a dark longitudinal streak. UNF: blue postmedial fascia which is broader posteriorly.
Ischyja hemiphaea: Dark basal half; pale marginal half, with dark zig-zag line from apex. Three black dentate marks beyond cell area. Reniform kidney-shaped (with possible black marks in the reniform).
Ischyja marapok: strong purplish tint to forewing, the stigmata are contained in a black longitudinal zone in the cell, stigmata with pale edging. Reniform kidney shaped. There is a dumbell-shaped black streak more centrally that contains whitish marks antemedially and postmedially indicating the position of the medial loop from the dorsum.
- OD: Potamophora ferrifracta Walker, .J. Proc. linn. Soc. Zool. 7: 177; TL: Borneo, Sarawak
- Hampson, G. F. 1891. Illustrations of typical specimens of Lepidoptera Heterocera in the collection of the British Museum. Part VIII - The Lepidoptera Heterocera of the Nilgiri District. Pg. 19 #527 as Ischyja glaucopteron, plate
CXLVII fg. 19
- Hampson, G. 1894. The Fauna of British India including Ceylon and Burma. Moths, Vol. 2. Taylor & Francis, London. Arctiidae, Agrostidae, Noctuidae. Pg. 538 #2605 as Ischyja schlegelii
- Holloway, J. D. 2005. The Moths of Borneo. Part 15/16. Noctuidae, Catocalini.
http://www.mothsofborneo.com/part-15-16/miscellaneous_i/miscellaneousi_3_3.php [accessed 14 January 2016]
- inaturalist.org. iNaturalist.org web application at http://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/416148-Ischyja-ferrifracta [accessed 25 December 2021] [accessed 14 January 2016]
- Kononenko, V. S. & A. Pinratana. 2005. Moths of Thailand, Volume 3: Noctuidae. An Illustrated Catalogue of the Noctuidae (Lepidoptera) in Thailand: Part 1: Herminiinae, Rivulinae, Hypeninae, Catocalinae, Aganainae, Euteliinae, Stictopterinae, Plusiinae, Pantheinae, Acronictinae and Agaristinae, pl 32/7.
- Ratnasingham, S. & Hebert, P. D. N. 2007. BOLD: The Barcode of Life Data System (website). http://www.boldsystems.org/index.php/Taxbrowser_Taxonpage?taxid=458284 [accessed 14 January 2016]
Cite this page along with its URL as:
Anonymous. 2022. Ischyja ferrifracta (Walker, 1864). In Sondhi, S., Y. Sondhi, P. Roy and K. Kunte (Chief Editors). Moths of India, v. 3.30. Indian Foundation for Butterflies. http://www.mothsofindia.org/sp/355557/Ischyja-ferrifracta